Who We Are
For 70 years, First Broad Street’s Child Care Center has provided nurturing Christian care for our community’s little ones. Begun in 1945 as a Kindergarten, it is recognized as a premier Center for infants and preschoolers in the Kingsport area.
Your child will experience a loving atmosphere that:
- stimulates learning and development;
- supplements home guidance and provides experiences essential to your child’s best development—physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually;
- employs trained teachers who have insight and warmth;
- makes faith development a natural part of daily life and makes faith connections while participating in a multitude of interesting and fun activities.
What We Teach
Through a variety of activities appropriate for each child’s age and developmental level, he or she develops-self expression, self-control, and an interest and joy in learning. Above all, each child is provided the opportunity to develop a positive self-image through loving care and interaction with others.
We use a United Methodist curriculum titled “Fun-Filled Weekdays.” Our three and four-year-olds attend Chapel once each week with the church’s Director of Preschool Ministries. They also have music, which is provided by a church volunteer each week. Our preschool age children receive wonderful training for entering Kindergarten.
Each Lead Teacher has a Child Development Associate Degree, as do many other staff members. Each staff member earns 18 hours of continuing education each year. In addition, our staff members are CPR/First Aid trained, as well as Safe Sanctuary trained.
How We Operate
The hours of operation are 7:15 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, year round.
The Center is closed on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
The Child Center also closes for inclement weather in accordance with Kingsport City Schools, with the exception of morning delays.
Parents are welcomed and encouraged to drop in and visit as frequently as they like.
A coded door maintains security between the office area and the classrooms. Each classroom is equipped with a telephone.
The Child Care Center is governed by the Child Care Center Board, which is comprised of members of First Broad Street United Methodist Church, and we have one or two parents of children who attend the Center on the Board. This Board, in accordance with mission and vision of FBSUMC, sets policies and works with the Director in running the Center. The State of Tennessee licenses the Center. The Center also participates in the Department of Human Services Certificate Program, which helps provide quality childcare for those needing assistance.
Testimonials from Parents
- “Except for myself, I doubt anyone could have loved and nurtured my child any more!”
- “The services here are superior to those provided by others we have dealt with.”
- “I feel secure with the teachers.”
- “I watched my child grow and mature.”
- “I knew when I left her that she would be well cared for and loved.”
- “I know she could not have a better start.”
- “You are planting spiritual seeds through Christian-focused activities and weekly chapel.”
FBSUMC Child Care Center offers:
- small child-to-teacher ratios
- large gymnasium
- multi-level facility
- newer, up-to-date playground
- Kindergarten preparation
How to Enroll
|Class||2 days||3 days||5 days|
|3’s & 4’s||$110||$125||$150|
Annual $50 registration fee. Weekly rates subject to change.
Call 423-224-1527 to set up a personal tour of the Center.
Click the links below to download important enrollment and other parent information:
Read our monthly newsletter online.
The Child Care Center holds a graduation ceremony for its pre-k class each summer to commemorate their achievements with the curriculum. Shown right are the 2014 graduates.